Dr. Tullius presents regularly on autism in the San Diego region and is available for national and international conferences. If you would like to schedule him to come speak to your group, please contact us at 619.363.5073 or by using the form below.
Autism & the Brain-Body Connection
How Chiropractic Care Impacts the Brain and Quality of Life of Children with Autism
Dr. Tullius has presented this talk on autism and chiropractic at several locations in San Diego over the past year and provided the video below so that you can have a clear understanding of how the particular form of care he provides can help your child.
This presentation explores one of the most common forms of neurological stress and how restoring normal function can result in quantifiable improvements in language, sociability and behavior in children with autism and other neurodevelopmental conditions.
To schedule a consultation, call 619.363.5073
3 Ebook Form - Email Campaign
- National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, Brain Basics: Know Your Brain, http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/brain_basics/know_your_brain.htm
- Stranding, S. (2008). Gray’s Anatomy, 40th Edition. The Anatomical Basis of Clinical Practice. Churchill Livingstone/Elsevier
- Herbert, N. (1994). Elemental Mind: Human Consciousness and the New Physics. Plume
- Purves D, Augustine GJ, Fitzpatrick D, et al., editors. Neuroscience. 2nd edition. Sunderland (MA): Sinauer Associates; 2001. Mechanoreceptors Specialized for Proprioception.
- Purves D, Augustine GJ, Fitzpatrick D, et al., editors. Neuroscience. 2nd edition. Sunderland (MA): Sinauer Associates; 2001. Nociceptors.
- Slosberg M, Effects of altered afferent articular input on sensation, proprioception, muscle tone and sympathetic reflex responses. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics [1988, 11(5):400-408]
- Schultz RT. Developmental deficits in social perception in autism: the role of the amygdala and fusiform face area. Int J Dev Neurosci.2005;23 :125– 141
- Hua, X., Thompson, P. M., Leow, A. D., Madsen, S. K., Caplan, R., Alger, J. R., O’Neill, J., Joshi, K., Smalley, S. L., Toga, A. W. and Levitt, J. G. (2013), Brain growth rate abnormalities visualized in adolescents with autism. Hum. Brain Mapp., 34: 425–436. doi: 10.1002/hbm.21441
- Wan C. Structure of language pathways differs in non-verbal autism. Poster presentation at the 2011 Society for Neuroscience annual meeting.
- Stoodley C. Imaging finds cerebellar changes in autism, other disorders. Poster presentation at the 2011 Society for Neuroscience annual meeting.
- Mohan G. Is the autistic brain too wired or not wired enough? Los Angeles Times. June 27, 2013.
- Uddin LQ, Supekar K, Lynch CJ, et al. Salience Network–Based Classification and Prediction of Symptom Severity in Children With Autism. JAMA Psychiatry.2013;70(8):869-879. doi:10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2013.104.
- Doidge, N. (2007). The Brain that Changes Itself: Stories of Personal Triumph from the Frontiers of Brain Science. Penguin.
- Chestnut J. (2003). Fourteen Foundational Premises for the Scientific and Philosophical Validation of the Chiropractic Wellness Paradigm. The Wellness Practice – Global Self Health Corp.
- Haavik Taylor H, Holt K, Murphy B. Exploring the Neuromodulatory Effects of the Vertebral Subluxation and Chiropractic Care, Chiropractic Journal of Australia 2010; 40: 37-44.
- Haavik Taylor H, Murphy B. Cervical spine manipulation alters sensorimotor integration: A somatosensory evoked potential study, Clinical Neurophysiology, February 2007
- Haavik Taylor H, Murphy, B. The role of spinal manipulation in addressing disordered sensorimotor integration and altered motor control. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology, 2012 Oct;22(5):768-76.
- Haavik Taylor H., & Murphy, B. (2011). Subclinical neck pain and the effects of cervical manipulation on elbow joint position sense. Journal of manipulative and physiological therapeutics, 34(2), 88-97.
- Haavik Taylor, H., & Murphy, B. (2007). Transient modulation of intracortical inhibition following spinal manipulation. Chiropractic Journal of Australia, 37(3), 106.
- Haavik Taylor H, Murphy B. (2010). The effects of spinal manipulation on central integration of dual somatosensory input observed after motor training: a crossover study. Journal of manipulative and physiological therapeutics, 33(4), 261-272.
- Haavik Taylor H, Murphy B. (2010). Altered central integration of dual somatosensory input after cervical spine manipulation. Journal of manipulative and physiological therapeutics, 33(3), 178-188.
- Haavik Taylor H, Murphy, B. (2008). Altered sensorimotor integration with cervical spine manipulation. Journal of manipulative and physiological therapeutics, 31(2), 115-126.
- Grostic J.D. Dentate ligament–cord distortion hypothesis. Chiropractic Research Journal. 1998 p. 50.
- Pickar JG. Neurophysiological effects of spinal manipulation. Spine J. 2002;2(5):357-371.
- Seaman DR, Winterstein JF. Dysafferentation: A novel term to describe the neuropathophysiological effects of joint complex dysfunction. A look at likely mechanisms of symptom generation. J Manipulative Physiol Ther 1998;21(4):267-280.
- Sato A, Swenson RS. Sympathetic nervous system response to mechanical stress of the spinal column of rats. J Manipulative Physiol Ther 1984;7(3):141-147.
- Sato A. The reflex effects of spinal somatic nerve stimulation on visceral function. J Manipulative Physiol Ther 1992;15:57-61.
- Sato A. Neural mechanisms of autonomic responses elicited by somatic sensory stimulation. Neurosci Behav Physiol 1997;27(5):610-621.
- Bolton PS. Reflex effects of vertebral subluxations: The peripheral nervous system. An update. J Manipulative Physiol Ther 2000;23(2):101-103.
- Bolton PS. The somatosensory system of the neck and its effects on the central nervous system. J Manipulative Physiol Ther 1998;21(8):553-563.
- Budgell B, Hotta H, Sato A. Spinovisceral reflexes evoked by noxious and innocuous stimulation of the lumbar spine. JNMS 1995;3(3):122-131.
- Carrick FR. Changes in brain function after manipulation of the cervical spine. J Manipulative Physiol Ther 1997;20(8):529-545.
- Harris W, Wagnon RJ. The effects of chiropractic adjustments on distal skin temperature. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 1987;10(2):57-60
- Budgell B, Polus B, The effects of thoracic manipulation on heart rate variability: A controlled crossover trial. J Manipulative Physiol Ther 2006;28(8):603-610.
- Budgell B, Hirano F. Innocuous mechanical stimulation of the neck and alterations in heart-rate variability in healthy young adults. Auton Neurosci. 2001;91(1-2):96-99.
- Swensen D. Heart Rate Variability and Spinal Manipulation: A Review of the Literature. JACO Dec 2011.
- Dimmick KR, Young MF, Newell D. Chiropractic manipulation affects the difference between arterial systolic blood pressures on the left and right normotensive subjects. J Manipulative Physiol Ther 2006;29(1):46-50
- Igarashi Y, Budgell BS. Response of arrhythmia to spinal manipulation: Monitoring by ECG with analysis of heart-rate variability. Chiropr J Aust 2000;30(3):92-95.
- McLain, R. F. (1994). Mechanoreceptor endings in human cervical facet joints. Spine, 19(5), 495-501.
- Daligadu, J. (2012). Cortical and cerebellar motor processing changes subsequent to motor training and cervical spine manipulation.
- Marshall, L. D. (2013). The effect of cervical spine manipulation on elbow joint position sense in patients with acute cervical facet syndrome.
- Schmahmann, J. Disorders of the Cerebellum: Ataxia, Dysmetria of Thought, and the Cerebellar Cognitive Affective Syndrome. The Journal of Neuropsychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences 2004;16:367-378.10.1176/appi.neuropsych.16.3.367
- Whatmore, G. B. and Kohli, D. R. (1968), Dysponesis: A neurophysiology factor in functional disorders. Syst. Res., 13: 102–124. doi: 10.1002/bs.3830130203
- Kent C. A Four-Dimensional Model of Vertebral Subluxation. Dynamic Chiropractic – January 1, 2011, Vol. 29, Issue 01
- Kent C. Chaos Theory, Heart Rate Variability and Vertebral Subluxation. Chiropractic Leadership Alliance website.
- Zhang J, Dean D, Nosco D, Strathopulos D, Floros M. Effect of chiropractic care on heart rate variability and pain in a multisite clinical study. J.Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2006;29:267–274.
- Gutman G. Blocked atlantal nerve syndrome in infants and small children. Originally published in Manuelle Medizin, 25:5-10,1987. English translation published in International Review of Chiropractic 1990 46(4):37.
- Towbin A. Latent spinal cord and brain stem injury in newborn infants. Develop Med Child Neurol 1969;11:54.
- Frymann, V. Relation disturbances craniosacral mechanisms to symptomatology of the newborn: Study of 1,250 infants. JAOA. 1966. 65:1059-1075.
- Campbell CJ, Kent C, Banne A, et al: Surrogate indication of DNA repair In serum after long term chiropractic intervention: a retrospective study. J Vertebral Subluxation Res, Feb, is ,2005:1- 5.
- Khaled A. Khorshid K, Sweat R, Zemba D, Zemba B. Clinical Efficacy of Upper Cervical Versus Full Spine Chiropractic Care on Children with Autism: A Randomized Clinical Trial, Journal of Vertebral Subluxation Research, March 9, 2006, pp 1-7
- Jennings J, Barker M. Autism: a chiropractic perspective. Clin Chiropr: MAR 2006(9:1) 6-10.
- Collection of Journal Abstracts, studies and personal accounts